Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Tim McCormick When you are 7 FT Tall you Don't have to Bow down to Anyone

There are stories I have where if I don't tell one story then it is some what unbelievable that the second story could have possibly happened.  With that as a background I'll tell you my story of Tim McCormick, former Michigan Wolverine and NBA star.  Tim introduced me to Charles Barkley.

7 Feet tall.  That is roughly how high Timothy Daniel McCormick's head reached into the sky when I first met him.  It was a "standing" joke with us.  Tim said he was 7'1", I said he was 6'11".  His measurement was in shoes, mine on a doctor's chart when he was barefoot.  He said, "I don't play basketball barefoot!"   Good point.

So how did a die hard Illini become friends with a blue blooded Wolverine.  I was living in Detroit, working for Proctor and Gamble.  This was my job just out of college.  Our coach, Lou Henson, had a handful of people who scouted and recorded games for him.  Lou loved to watch film of every game he could.  Remember now when I moved there this was pre-ESPN.  So national telecasts of college basketball were rare.  However most schools broadcast all of their home games at least.  Living in the Detroit suburbs I had access to many of the Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State games (Toledo is close to Detroit and their local station broadcast the games)  

So Coach Lou gave me a beta max (a really clunky recorder), lots of tapes and money to send the tapes.  I would record the games, and then the next morning run the tape to the Greyhound bus station who would put it on a bus to Champaign via Chicago.  This was also pre-Fed EX, so if you wanted to get it there in one day you sent it on a bus.  Lou had about 5 of us around the Big 10 doing just this for him.  

There were perks for helping, but one of the biggest was he let me sit on the bench when we played one of "my" teams.  For four years I got to sit on the bench when we played at Michigan, Michigan State or Ohio State.  I even got to sit on the bench at Indiana.  It was an awesome gift.  

How does this relate to Tim?  Good question....I'm at Crisler Arena, home of the Wolverines, and after the game I get to talking to Coach Steve Fisher.  Steve has his own little history lesson, won the national championship in the first 5 games he coached in division one, coached the Fab 5, and is still coaching at San Diego State.  Steve is from the south suburbs of Chicago and coached at Rich East High School prior to Michigan.  I played at Rich South High School.  So, we were teacher/student, friends in my younger years.

As Steve and I talked he knew I had recently moved to Detroit and didn't have any friends yet.  He also knew that Tim had just had double knee surgery and was pretty depressed.  Tim was rated as one of the top 5 basketball players out of high school.  However he grew faster than his tendons could keep up.  As a result over his career he had double digit surgeries on his knees.  This one in particular set him back awhile.  Steve introduced us, we became close friends and spent a lot of time hanging out at his parents ranch, playing golf, going to concerts and of course rehabbing and shooting hoops.

Tim is one of the most singularly faith-filled people I have ever met.  A devoted Catholic, Tim's life has been centered on his relationship with Christ.  His family is a close second in his world.  It's inspiring to see someone committed to anything so strongly.   He drew me into this and at least planted several seeds into my own spiritual growth to develop later in life.

Like many of us when Tim was a kid he waited patiently in line for autographs of his heroes.  It was fun to go anywhere with him because he towered above the crowd and people would immediately ask "who is that guy?"  No matter where we went we needed to add at least a half hour onto our arrival time as Tim would sign every autograph request made.  He never forgot the athletes "too busy" to stop for the fans and was committed not to be "that guy."   I don't think I ever saw him put himself ahead of his fans.

Through a lot of hard work and dedication Tim made it back into the starting line up of the Wolverines.  So much so that by the end of his senior season he led his team to the NIT championship and was named most valuable player.

Two things came from this honor.  First he was invited to try out for one of the most storied US Olympic teams ever.  Second, he was drafted 12th in the NBA draft.  The '84 Olympic team featured players such as Michael Jordan, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone and Steve Alford.  Tim made the 20 man finalist team. He was cut from the final team with Charles Barkley, Johnny Dawkins and John Stockton.  Not a bad cut list.  But for Tim, playing that summer for coach Bobby Knight did more to elevate his professional stock than perhaps his entire 4 years in Ann Arbor.  Knight said "removing Tim from the team was the toughest cut I had to make," McCormick being the last player cut.

Next up was the NBA.  Drafted 12th by Cleveland, he was traded to Seattle within an hour of the draft.  He played 10 seasons in the NBA for 6 teams.  It was while he was with Philadelphia that he introduced me to the round mound of rebound, Charles Barkley.  More about that later. One thing for sure, playing for 6 teams resulted in a grand collection of NBA gear in my closet.  Sonic, Sixers, Nets, Rockets, Hawks and Knicks.  I have them all!

I had the pleasure of visiting him several times while he was in the NBA.  A week long trip in Seattle was my first introduction to "life in the NBA."  He picked me up at the airport in his Porsche.  Now this was a step up from college life.  He had a nice apartment on the lake.  Literally on the lake.  As in lake house.  We spent the days doing one of four things, eating, going to work out or going to a game and then eating.  He ate twice as much as any human I have ever met.  I remember once sitting at tis kitchen table while he ate a gallon of ice cream, with chocolate syrup, nuts and sprinkles.  This was the life.

Three memories here from this trip.  First, we were watching tv one morning as the Challenger took off and watched it explode killing all the crew.  Shocking for sure.  Second, the Bears were in the Super Bowl that year and week and we watched the game at Seattle Seahawk football center Blair Bush's house.  This was especially fun since he had won the Super Bowl with the Bengals two years earlier.  We got some inside knowledge on what it was like on game day, the pressure, the waiting, sleeping at half time, etc.

Third, one of the games for the Sonics that trip was with the Sixers.  Dr. J played along with Charles and Tim shared some great "growing up stories."  When Tim was at a basketball camp as a kid Dr. J gave him one of his shoes, autographed it, and then said when you make it to the NBA I'll give you the other one."  Tim had made it, and Doc kept his word, giving Tim the matching pair.

Next year Tim was traded to the Sixers and the fun began!  I caught up with him a few times, once in Chicago, where we went out to Ditka's after the game.  Standing in a long line, I said to everyone, "I'll bet if they know Tim and Charles are here they will let us in."   I boldly went up to the host, stated my case and .... they let us in.  Took us to the VIP reserved section.  John McEnroe was a few tables away with his wife Tatum O'Neil and three tables away sat Joe DiMaggio.   Tim's dad Tom was a good old soul.  He was not impressed by much, and the people we would have a brush with fame with was no big deal to him.  However, when he saw "Joltin Joe" he melted.  He slid over to him like a 12 year old and asked for an autograph.  In retrospect I wish I would have done the same.

Another time I picked up cousin Dana and we drove to Philly for a few games over Christmas.  We got there Christmas night and went over to another player's house for "Christmas dinner and drinks."  All of the Sixers were there including Doc J, Charles, Maurice Cheeks and Danny Vranes whose house I think we were at.  Dana was having the time of his life, I think he was all of 18 or 19 and hanging out with a few of his all time heroes.  He had a few, and a few more.  The highlight of the evening was a classic photo of Dana passed out in a chair with the 76'rs surrounding him.  A classic to this day that his 16 and 18 year old sons love to put in his face.

Once I drove over to Indy with some friends to see him.. We went out for pizza afterwards.  Now Tim has left his wallet in his bag at the hotel so the check came and he handed it to me.  I said, "hey wait, when I was working and you were playing at Michigan I always had to pick up the check, Now here you are working and I'm still picking up the tab."  Tim said,"if it's not broken why fix it..?"
And so it was with TDM.

Over the years I have kept up with him. His dream job was to work for ESPN, and he did as an analyst..  He has done color commentary in the NBA and NCAA.  He currently works as a motivational speaker. I believe he is also works for the NBA as Regional Director of Player Programs.

Local radio host Steve Jay has had us on his shows in the past and I'll share of few stories Stevie has drawn out of Tim:

On life in the NBA:  I spent my whole life dreaming about playing in the NBA.  Now I get to sit in the front row and watch my heroes play every night.  Oh, and I'm getting paid for it.

On Todd's contribution to my NBA career:
In the NBA we would spend a lot of time in our hotel rooms waiting for the bus to leave for the game or leave for the airport.  Lot's of time doing nothing.  Of all my friends over the years Todd is absolutely the best at doing nothing, and helped me with that, exactly doing nothing.



No comments:

Post a Comment