Thursday, September 26, 2013

Oh my it's been a little while since I have posted so I think I need to catch up.  It has been a busy summer for sure, highlighted by the production of Les Miserables in August.  I'll write more on that later, but for now I want to ramble a bit on my latest "project."  Last month I welcomed a student from China to stay with me this year.  Guanheng Luo is a senior at Champaign Central High School.  I'm pleased to report that after 4 1/2 weeks he is still alive!  

About 8 months ago Guanheng's brother, Guanyang, contacted me about trying to get Guanheng enrolled in the Rotary exchange program.  We quickly discovered we were too late for this year and began working on option B.  While I never would have believed a year ago I would do this, I committed to hosting Guanheng and be his guardian for the year.

Did you know that "raising a child" is harder than raising a dog?  No one told me that!  However, I've come to understand that Guanheng has needs beyond filling the water and food dish and letting him outside.  I mean he doesn't even chase the tennis ball when I throw it!  It's a whole new world.  

However, having said that, I must say the experience is a bit better that I expected.  First and foremost, while his English is not perfect, he work ethic nearly is.  He is a brilliant young man having already completed all the math and science courses in his previous school.  Even the AP Calculus and Physics classes he is in are a breeze although he is learning the language of the courses rather than the concepts.  That's a good thing as I have long forgotten the concepts in any math or science course taken.  

But...he is also taking American history, economics and basic English.  I can help him there!  We talk about new words every night and occasionally discuss moments in history and economic theory.   The English is harder than you might think.  Yesterday's word was "thing".   Try explaining what a thing is without using the words "something, anything, everything or nothing."  But we got that one done and are working through a list of 2497 words his teacher has prepared for him to learn this semester.  

More than the classroom though I'm finding the chance to talk to him about the cultural differences between China and the US is fascinating.  Guanheng's school schedule for example was amazing.  He would go to school Sunday nights at 6 only to return home on Saturday night at 6.   Classes started at 6:30 AM daily and went through 10 PM.  There were breaks for dinner and studying, but clearly this helps me to understand why the Chinese are so far ahead of us.

He has been enjoying discovering American cuisine.  His first milk shake, pizza and hamburger where monumental occasions.  And so far at least, he hasn't found an ice cream he doesn't like.  Like many Asian students he looks for rice dishes and more simple fare, but loves to experiment with new foods.

Guanheng has adjusted to having a pet at home as well.  Imagine never having owned or even seen a pet dog.  At first he was a little afraid of my Kelsey.  Now they have bonded and she watches out for him as well.

As for me, no significant changes in my schedule yet.    I've had my first parent teacher meetings.  Attended a few more events at the school.  And I keep my eyes open for things a 17 year old might like to do.  He does enjoy football, and has enjoyed the side trips we have taken to Chicago and Allerton Park.  We have a few more trips in mind, NYC to visit my sister at Christmas, and maybe go to my relatives in Pennsylvania in for a large family Thanksgiving.  

It's harder for him to make friends, and certainly if I already had a child in the school it would be easier.  But he is slowly making friends and doing some outside clubs and activities.  

For now at least, everyday is a new experience for both of us.  I'm looking forward to the rest of the year and also looking forward to graduation.  In the meantime, I'll work on his English and he can teach me a little Chinese while we are at it.


No comments:

Post a Comment