Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Oranges!

Ok, so since this is my blog, it's ok if I think something is the greatest gift, food wise, from God.  And I just happen to think there is no finer food in this world of ours than oranges.  Of course I'm partial to the color orange being an Illini and all, but that's not why I love them. 
Oranges are the perfect combination of sweetness, texture, ease of consumption and overall flavor.  Not all oranges mind you.  I'm very much biased toward navel oranges.  I've eaten more than my share in my life.  And this time of year is my favorite for two reasons. 
1. The weather warms up, and I truly hate cold weather
and
2. Oranges are in season. 
(3. would normally be the start of March Madness, which I love, except when my team is playing awful and I know it will be an early exit from the tourney)
So why an orange vs say, all the other fruits in the world
Here's my logic. Let me take a few popular other varieties.

Apples - Good flavor.  Not too juicy.  But after a few, they are just boring.  They are good alternatives to Oranges in the off season.

Peach - Come on, just what do you do with the pits.  They are good, but often too messy.

Nectarine - Hard to get a ripe one.  Nearly perfect, but once again the pit gets in the way.

Tangerine - Love them, however one tangerine does not equal one orange in volume or flavor.  Often have seeds as well. 

Banana - Just not enough in each serving.  Again ok, but boring after long stretches.

Pears - Probably biased here because they are either not ripe enough, or too ripe.  Hard to get the perfect pear.  But good when you finally get one.

Tomato - Yes a tomato is a fruit.  Love them off the vine!  My second favorite to oranges when they are in season. 

So, that''s my lesson for the day.  Oranges Rock!  (and a good gift idea as well if you are wondering what you should buy me! )

Keep the change!

No comments:

Post a Comment