Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Field of Dreams - Augie Garrido and Kevin Costner

For those of you that don't know I had the pleasure to work for the Illinois Division of Intercollegiate Athletics for about 6 years.  I was sort of the director of baseball operations in that job, although it was called the assistant to the associate athletic director.  I worked directly for two great baseball minds, Richard "Itch" Jones, a legend in Illinois with the success he had at Southern Illinois University and at Illinois and maybe the nicest human being on the planet earth, and I also worked for Augie Garrido.  Augie came to Illinois from Cal State Fullerton where he won two College World Series for the Titans.  He spent 3 years here in Champaign before going back to Fullerton and eventually on to Austin Texas.  For those that don't know, he has now won 5 national championships and is the winningest coach in college baseball history. 
Working for Augie was a treat.  You never knew who might be on the other end of the phone.  Joe Torre called a few times, Jim Levebre and even Billy Martin. 
One day we got a call from Peter Gammons.  Peter was working for Sports Illustrated at the time writing the scorecard section of the magazine.  This was long before his stint on Baseball Tonight on ESPN.  So Peter called and wanted to talk to Augie.  Coach was in Seattle coaching the Goodwill Games, sort of a mid olympics world competition.  Gammons had to talk to Augie and I explained Augie was hard to reach right now, but that he called me nightly if he had a question he wanted to pass on.  Peter gave me the question:  Kevin Costner was about to release a movie, Field of Dreams.  Kevin claimed he played on Augie's 1979 national championship at Fullerton.  Could Augie comment on Kevin as a player. I promised Gammons I would pass on the question and call him back the next day.
When Augie called I happened to be at the office.  I asked the question, and Augie said, "I don't think that Costner ever played for me, but maybe he was a walk on or something.  I just don't remember him."
"Check my desk, there is a photo of the whole team and on the back is a list of the team roster."  So I checked and there was no Kevin Costner in the photo. 
I called Gammons back and passed on the news.  In next week's Sports Illustrated Gammons wrote, "Kevin Costner claims to have played for Augie Garrido at Fullerton, however Garrido has no recollection of Costner being on the team."
Ok, so this would have just died right here, except about 3 weeks later Augie accepted the job to return to Fullerton and coach the Titans.  Project #1 on the list for Augie was building a new stadium, and donor #1 for Augie to contact was none other than Kevin Costner.  Costner wasn't pleased that Augie had forgotten about him! 
But, over time they patched up their issues and Costner not only donated to the stadium but has become a life long friend of Augie's.  Turns out Costner was never on the team, but took Augie's "Principles of Coaching" class at Fullerton.  

No comments:

Post a Comment